If you’re reading this right now, you probably already know some facts about sea moss. For example, it’s rich in 92 out of 102 vitamins and minerals and is quite beneficial for your health. However, did you know that sea moss is also great for your skin and hair?
Let’s take a closer look at this natural beauty product and how you can maximize its benefits for your skin and hair.
What Is Sea Moss?
Sea moss, also known as Irish sea moss, Irish moss, or carrageen moss, is a type of red algae found on the North Atlantic's shores surrounding Ireland, Europe, and North America. Sea moss has been part of the human diet and used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years.
Now, the interest in this superfood is only growing. And it’s not surprising why. Irish moss is full of high amounts of nutrients, including folate, vitamin K, iron, iodine, magnesium, and calcium.
Sea moss is often harvested to extract carrageenan, a gelatinous carbohydrate used in baking and cosmetics. Yet, you can also eat Irish sea moss on its own or use it to thicken soups and stews.
Here’s what 100 grams of sea moss can provide you with:
- Calories: 49
- Total Carbohydrates: 12.3 g
- Omega-3: 47.0 mg
- Omega-6: 2.0mg
- Protein: 1.5 g
Sea moss also contains a large number of vitamins & minerals:
- Vitamin A: 118 IU
- Vitamin C: 3.0 mg
- Calcium: 72.0 mg
- Vitamin E: 0.9 mg
- Folate: 182 mcg
- Vitamin K: 5.0 mcg
- Vitamin B: 60.1 mg
- Iron: 8.9 mg
- Zinc: 1.95 mg
- Vitamin B: 120 mcg
- Potassium: 63.0 mg
- Sodium: 67.0 mg
- Water: 81.3 g
How to Use Irish Moss?
You can introduce sea moss into your daily diet by adding it to your breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, or whatever else you can come up with. Irish sea moss has almost no flavor, so you can get creative and experiment with adding it into different dishes.
- Eat it - take it plain
- Mix it - add it to foods like salads, yogurts, or oats
- Juice it - add it to juices or smoothies
- Apply it - apply it directly to your skin or hair, then wash off
- Bake it - add it to your favorite pastries and cakes
- Stew it - add it to your stews and soups for a thicker texture
- Freeze it - add it to your home-made ice cream
Our sea moss products are never pool or farm-grown or watered down. They’re always made fresh to order in small batches to ensure freshness. And by the way, did you know that sea moss is also a gluten-free, vegan-friendly, non-GMO, and gelatin-free source of protein?
Sea Moss Benefits for Skin
Thanks to its anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammatory properties, Irish moss has quite a few benefits for your skin. Here are some of them:
- It can help reduce the appearance of acne.
- It can contribute to promoting skin repair.
- It can act as a moisturizer.
- It can reduce inflammation.
- It can prevent the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- It can be used as a gentle exfoliator.
Sea moss' gelatin-like texture is also an effective mask for treating eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, burns, and other dermatologic reactions. It is full of minerals that your skin craves. Irish sea moss is a natural collagen that can help give your skin a natural healthy glow.
Sea Moss Benefits for Hair
Now that you know about the advantages of sea moss for your skin, you might be curious to learn how it can work for your hair. Here are a few surprising benefits:
- It can help keep your scalp moisturized.
Sea moss has a sufficient amount of vitamin A that can help improve sebum production and prevent dandruff.
- It can help prevent hair loss.
Being rich in iron, Irish sea moss can contribute to preventing hair loss and replenishing iron stores.
- It can help promote hair growth.
Sea moss is an excellent vitamin E source, which can help fight against oxidative stress and improve hair growth. You can try applying sea moss gel topically to get the most of its benefits for your hair.
- It can condition your hair, enhance shine, and fortify the hair fibers.
Other Benefits of Irish Sea Moss for Your Health
- High mineral and vitamin content
- Boosts immunity
- Increases energy levels
- Improves thyroid function
- Alleviates depression and anxiety
- Promotes weight loss
- Improves joint health
- Improves mental health
- Great for sexual health
- Relieves anemia
- Enhances gut health and digestion
How to Prepare Irish Sea Moss Gel?
You can now find sea moss in several forms, including gel, capsules, raw, or flavored. However, if you want to prepare your own sea moss gel, you can easily do it within the comfort of your home:
- Wash the Sea Moss thoroughly with lemon or lime juice (Natural) to remove any grit with cold water.
- Place Sea Moss in a bowl or container and cover with Distilled or Natural Spring Water.
- Let the Sea Moss soak for a full 8-24 hours covered. Drain water and rinse.
- Sea Moss will be soft and double in size. Place in blender and blend thoroughly. Add water as needed to create a smooth applesauce consistency.
- Transfer to a glass container or bowl with a cover and store in the refrigerator to gel.
Why Use Sea Moss?
Irish sea moss is one of the natures’ most potent superfoods. Here are a few reasons why you should consider adding it to your daily routine:
- It’s 100% wild-crafted.
- It’s rich in 92 of 102 vitamins and minerals.
- It can reduce the symptoms and duration of occasional cold and flu.
- It’s perfect for everyday use - on foods and beverages.
Irish sea moss offers an abundance of unique benefits for your health, including your skin and hair. It’s a widely-spread ingredient in the medicinal and beauty industries. So, don’t be surprised if you find Irish sea moss or Chondrus Crispus on the list of ingredients of your favorite skincare or hair products.
At Essential Sea Moss, we strive to make being healthy easy. Our sea moss products are made with care to ensure you consume the healthiest (non-GMO and raw) sea moss ever. Check out our keto-friendly and vegan sea moss product collection to learn more about the powerful benefits of this nutrient-dense alga.